This tour starts at Mount Nebo, a sacred mountain not far from Madaba in Northern, Central Jordan. There is a wonderful lookout that allows us to see until Jerusalem when the sky is clear. It is believed Moses visited the…
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
This tour starts at Mount Nebo, a sacred mountain not far from Madaba in Northern, Central Jordan. There is a wonderful lookout that allows us to see until Jerusalem when the sky is clear. It is believed Moses visited the place and was buried here or near. Mount Nebo features a beautifully restored Church with modern architecture and Byzantine mosaics inside.
From Mount Nebo, we will ride around the outer skirts of Madaba. Later we cycle towards the Dead Sea staying on road all times. There are several up- and downhill sections. The landscapes are rough and vegetation is sparse in this region unless you visit in Spring. Nevertheless, you will be cycling in a unique environment that attracts wildlife, especially birds.
The destination will be Mukawir Castle also known as Fortress of Machaerus, built around 90 BC. It had a good strategic location as it was difficult to access and invasions could be easily spotted. You will be overlooking the hills of the Wadi Mujib Reserve. From the top of the hill, you can see the Dead Sea and Palestine in the far distant.
- Start point (Mount Nebo) which is located 10 km (6 miles) west of the Roman-Byzantine town of Madaba, which takes 15minuts drive from Madaba and 35 min approximately from Amman
- Finish Point (Mukawer) The modern village of Mukawer has located 30 km to the southwest of Madaba on the south bank of Wadi Zarqa Ma'in
It’s easy to the intermediate bike route, with the occasional easy climb. The route will start from Mount Nebo approximately 710 meters above sea level and will take you through the countryside roads which are visited by tourists, crossing Fayhaa, Ma’en, and Mukawer villages where you might meet some local families. The route leads through a panoramic road where the stunning views of the Deadsea will take your breath, with a rolling up and down hills roads that will challenge you and reward you all the way towards Mukawir Castle, (Machaerus) which is a fortified hilltop palace. According to Flavius Josephus, it is the location of the imprisonment and execution of John the Baptist.
- Meet & Assist at Amman Airport.
- Individual transfer from/to Amman Airport.
- Water Bottle
- Meals (as indicated)
- local English-speaking guide
- Cycling guide/mechanic for cycling days who cycles with the group.
- Support cycling truck for cycling days.
- Bike (Scott Aspect 740 27,5″ or Sub cross 30) and helmet hire on cycling days.
- Snack breaks on cycling days
- Accommodation as per itinerary, sharing in a twin room with another member of the group of the same gender. (A supplement applies for a single room, available on request).
- Airport drop off
- Tips for service providers (drivers, guides, camping/ hotel staff, etc.).
- International flights
- Domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Alcohol drinks.
- Visa fees
- Any airfare.
- Any optional services.
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions.
No Details Found